Back to Entries Next Entry » « Previous Entry

Marmora Mine

Located: Marmora
Region: ComfortCountry
Submitted by: Andrew (Belleville, Ontario)
The Marmora Mine opened in 1955 and is situated just East of the Village of Marmora close to highway 7. Known as the Marmoraton Mine, it was owned by Bethlehem Steel Mills of New York and exported iron ore pellets.

In 1953, before the Marmoraton could open, engineers first had to blast through 120 feet of limestone before reaching the high grade ore which was underneath. Once blasted out, the open pit mine measured approximately 1700 feet by 1200 feet and reached 600 feet deep.

The mine employed some 300 men who worked to fill the 30 to 35 railway cars daily for tran… Read more»

New Server